Friday, May 05, 2006

REUNION

Yayes Basares

How I hate reunions………. It reminds me of my age. God it has been twenty years already? And here I am still playing hide and seek with myself. It’s a funny game I seek while I hide.

Dateline : Black Saturday April 15, 2006

Meeting place was Tivo’s residence at SPPVS. The venue was chosen to skip the P100.00 registration fee at OLPS. Believe me it was a legal move according to Tivo.

Henri came, always mindful of how chicken pox affected his face yet proud of his having no beer belly. Junie came, the class beadle, the leader, the planner and organizer,,,,,,,the forever bachelor ? ? ? ? Dante came, the class puzzle on how he retains his “single blessedness”. Jason came, bespectacled but still with the hundred meters stare that seems to penetrate your bones when he looks at you. Dave came, still with his warm smile and sparkling eyes. Weewee came, proudly proclaiming himself the prima donna of the class, of course we did not object.

We drunk the whole night. They had Fundador, a Tequila and a white wine. I settled with Tiki-tiki. We laughed the whole night. And yes we reminiscence the past, the crazy kids that we were. We looked back and came up with a unanimous conclusion: Entering OLPS was the greatest event in our lives. Weewee can vouch for that.

OLPS was home to each of us, and all of us. It’s the unbroken tie that united us, kids from different places, different family backgrounds, different values. It remains to binds us, men of different aches, longings and frustrations.

And it will continue to hold us together.

Did I not say I hate reunions? It took me some time to recover and come back to the real world. My four day vacation extended to seven days. The days after, it took me some time to get up from bed and face the real world, that when I returned to my desk my officemates would like to skin me alive. I simply smiled at them like a love struck puppy. When I left Sorsogon I kissed my kids, I kissed my wife, I even wanted to kiss the poker faced bus driver but he said he was busy so I let him be.

It must have been the tiki-tiki.

2 comments:

junie said...

Yayes,

great piece!

Keep writing.

(by the way, sorry for the late posting. busy ako this week.)

jetski said...

hanep yayes! great work. u should write more often. for sure i will nominate you as one of the writers in the OLPS book :-)